Saturday, August 3, 2013

Battle Royale: Drugstore Duochrome Metalic Polishes

Today's battle royale features some drugstore duochrome polishes! A while ago Revlon came out with a line called Chroma Chameleon and Sally Hansen came out with Lustre Shine. Recently, I found some of these duochrome polishes on sale, so I thought I would try them out. I really can't resist a sale on nail polish! I picked up two Chroma Chameleon polishes from Walgreens for $3.99 and the Lustre Shine polish from Rite Aid. I got one a while ago for full price, and one more recently for 40% off which made it around $4.50 or so. I can't remember the exact price. Regardless, I got these for a pretty good price and I couldn't resist sharing:



Revlon Chroma Chameleon Topaz. This one took three coats, but probably would have been fine with two. I just felt the need to add and extra layer. It is a nice green/gold/aqua polish. The shift from the three colors is really more prevalent in person, but it was very distinct. I felt like one of those shiny color changing beetles. That is kind of a creepy analogy, but trust me when I say it was a good thing. Really enjoyed this one.



In direct sunlight




Revlon Chroma Chameleon Cobalt. This one didn't really have a strong color shift. If I had to say what the other color besides blue was, I would say purple. It isn't a strong shift by any means, but it is still a gorgeous and vibrant color. Really is a true cobalt color. If you are looking for a blue duochrome, this isn't your polish. If you are looking for a gorgeous blue, this is a great contender. Photos below were two coats. 








Sally Hansen Lustre Shine Copperhead. Don't mind the shrinkage on the tips of my nails. I didn't carefully apply my Seche Vite. I applied two very wonderfully pigmented coats. The Sally Hansen brushes are shaped and flat, which make application nice and easy. Of the bunch, Copperhead had the biggest and most prominent color shift. It is hard to capture in photo, but it went from a metallic brown/bronze color to a burgundy. It is really beautiful! It has a nice warm feeling to it.

In direct sunlight





Sally Hansen Lustre Shine Firefly. I also applied two pigmented coats here. This one was an interesting shift from pink to gold to a hint of green. I'm not sure if that is really what a firefly looks like, but I'll take it. This one seems the most girly of the group.




I would say the winner of this group is Revlon Chroma Chameleon Topaz! I just thought that it was the best mix of easy application, color shift and value. I enjoyed all of these polishes but I did notice the Sally Hansen polishes were more prone to bubble. I think all of these are a great value, but some didn't really have as strong of a duochrome effect that you would expect from a polish labeled as such. I hope you enjoyed this post and try some of these polishes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts