Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Nail Art: Galaxy Nails

Ever since my nail polish obsession started all of maybe a year ago, I have been wanting to try this amazing look on my nails. Something called galaxy nails at first sounded a little hokey to me, but once I saw photos of these galaxy nails I knew I had to try it! Your nails basically turn into a vortex into the galaxy. No matter how unskilled you think you may be, you can do this and your nails will be stellar! I couldn't keep from adding a pun! Anyway, this is a simple (I really mean it this time) look to achieve with professional looking results.

Direct Sunlight

Direct Sunlight

 Direct Sunlight

Shade

I started with a black base, let that dry and sponge on a deep blue, a lighter blue and a purple or pink. The result is a bunch of color blobs on your fingers, but the key here is when you add the glitter coat. Suddenly the glitter coat adds the stars and it transforms your nails. I also added a top coat. The colors I used are as follows:
Base- Orly Bonder
Black- Wet n Wild: Black Creme
Deep Blue- Essie: Aruba Blue
Light Blue- China Glaze: Sea Spray
Purple- OPI: Suzi and the 7 Dusseldorfs
Glitter- OPI: Pirouette My Whistle
Top Coat- Seche Vite, always
So fun! The only tricky part is getting the right glitter. I have one that has a good mix of big and small glitters. You definitely want both kinds to have the effect of both close and far away stars. I've even seen some where people take a white striping brush and paint on stars. The great part is that this design is so easily adaptable! I didn't create this design and there are many tutorials out there, but after seeing so many amazing versions I wanted to try one for myself. I hope you like it!

1 comment:

  1. Hi! On my tablet so can't get this to do paragraph breaks. :-) Just a few tiny comments: first, I LOVE this tutorial and the resultant look. It's a cooler look than others I've seen. And finally, a small correction. You said, ''Your nails basically turn into a vortex.'' I'm pretty sure you meant Nova or Supernovae--clouds of dust and gas with dust particles. They are highly photographable once they're subjected to false colour technology, which is what makes their beautiful colours. On the hand, ''vortex'' is a phenomenon that only happens here on Earth. In fluid dynamics, it just means fluid that rotates around a central axis. Space IS a vortex--all of it, but there aren't little regions of vortices one could paint on their nails. :) I hope this has helped, and thanks for posting this. :-) Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts