Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Work Wear Wednesday Tutorial Subtle Ruffian

Today I have a subtle look that I actually wore for a meeting, so this has been beta tested! It is a super easy, three step, no tool look that anyone can pull off! I have a simple, subtle ruffian manicure to share with you today!


I have all the instructions and a pictorial tutorial at the end. I love the contrast of matte and shine in this look and with the monochromatic effect, I think it is perfect for just the right amount of art in a professional look.






There are no tools needed for this look! I used Lay Down That Base bassecoat for OPI Push and Shove, because that basecoat is required for that polish. You can definitely use another metallic polish, but I love the shine in Push and Shove. I used L'Oreal Greycian Goddess for the grey and Wet N Wild's matte top coat. 

1. Add your metallic base color. I used two coats here. 
2. Carefully paint the grey following the same shape of the nail bed but further down, exposing a thin sliver of silver at the base. I taper off the grey to meet the sides of the nail.
3. Add a matte top coat over just the grey portion. This way, the shine of the metallic shows through and contrasts really well with the matte.

What do you think? This is a super easy design that you can share at work and still show a little sass. I love the way this turned out! I really like playing with monochromatic looks and this is one of my favorite simple designs, I really hope you like it! Let me know if you try it out. Thanks for reading!

27 comments:

  1. Gotta love a good ruffian! I am loving these work wear posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am loving this series and this is such a great, classy look!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the look of a ruffian. Ive been hesitant to try it so far because Im sure my hands would sahke too much to get an even line between the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous!! I love simple ruffians, and the combo of metallic & matte is just perfect! Keep up these work-wear posts - they're great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so simple, yet so elegant. Great job on this!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very good tutorial! I like the contrast between matte and metallic.

    Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Dalai Lama's NailsOctober 22, 2014 at 4:10 PM

    great idea for a work appropriate look! It's so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you! Yes, ruffians are so versatile!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you! It doesn't require a really steady hand, but I think they do make stickers if your hands shake too much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so beautiful! It's work appropriate, but fun at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So much yes. Possibly my favorite Ruffian I've seen so far

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so chic and fabulous. LOVE this so much!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is what I was going for! Just a little bit of sass!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the fact that you mattified it for an extra elegant look. Very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. PERFECTION! The Ruffian is one of my favorite nail art techniques :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this! Ruffian is not a technique I usually like but there has been this mani around in my Pinterest feed like forever with a black matte base and metallic ruffian which I've always promised myself to recreate! Yours is just as amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are so sweet! Ruffians are so fun and simple. Thank you Kellie!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts